This week your family can enjoy a number of fun Easter events, check out the Clay County Fair, catch the first Jacksonville Suns game of the season or sing to your hearts’ content at a Frozen sing-along.
These offerings and more are included in our “Top 10″ list of local family-friendly events coming in the week ahead, but don’t forget there are MANY more events for your family on Amelia Island, in Jacksonville and beyond, which you can see in our Special Events Calendar. We also have a separate calendar for the events offered every week, such as library story times, and of course we still have our popular Kids Eat Free calendar. If you prefer to see all of these events in one place, we also have a Master Calendar.
What’s new on Mamamelia.com:
Want to Subscribe?
Mamamelia’s Top 10 Event Picks for the Week Ahead:
1) Saturday and Sunday: Easter celebrations at the Ritz-Carlton (Brunch, Hunt, Tea and more) / Amelia Island
2) 2:05 p.m. Saturday and 7:05 p.m. Thursday: Jacksonville Suns first games of 2015 / Jacksonville
There are two opportunities to see the Jacksonville Suns make their 2015 debut this week. Catch their exhibition game or their first official game this week. Details and tickets for both events at www.JaxSuns.com.
- 2:05 p.m. Saturday: Jacksonville Suns vs. Marlins Exhibition Game
- 7:05 p.m. Thursday: Jacksonville Suns vs. Jackson Opening Game of the season. First 3,000 fans will receive a replica 2014 Championship Ring.
3) 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday: Community Easter Celebration at MUMC and First Presbyterian / Fernandina Beach
This annual Easter celebration on 6th Street in Downtown Fernandina Beach is hosted by – and located between – Memorial United Methodist Church and First Presbyterian Church. This massive, FREE Easter celebration features bounce houses, free food, egg hunts, kids’ crafts and more in downtown Fernandina Beach. Easily one of the best-known and most popular Easter events on the island.
4) Throughout the day Saturday, April 4: Peter Cottontail Express / St. Marys
St. Marys Express’s Peter Cottontail Express train rides are in full swing. Now is the time to buy tickets… they always sell out. This time you’ll get to visit with the Easter Bunny while enjoying the countryside views in the open air train. Details here.
5) 8:30 p.m. Saturday: Flashlight Family Egg Hunt Crooked River State Park / St. Marys
Bring your family, friends, flashlights and baskets to Crooked River’s Egg Hunt in the Dark. Limited participation, early wristband purchase available at the Park Office. Entertainment and music will be provided by Camden DJ. Admission: $3 per person. Parking fee: $5.
6) 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday: Easter Sunday Brunch and Easter Egg Hunt / Fernandina Beach
Fernandina Beach Golf Club hosts a brunch and an egg hunt at this event. Stop by the club to make reservations or call 904- 310-3186.10am Brunch 12pm Egg Hunt.($15.95 adults, $7.95 kids, 3 and under are free).
7) Now through April 11: 29th Annual Clay County Agricultural Fair / Green Cove Springs
Clay County’s famous fair is back, with all its great rides, exhibits, animals, parades and more! Opens April 2 and continues through the 11th. Ticket prices vary from $5 to $8, or save by buying in advance at the Fair Office or www.claycountyfair.org before April 2. For a daily fair schedule, go to http://claycountyfair.org/daily-fair-schedule.
8) 3-5 p.m. Saturday: 2nd Annual Government Day (Egg Hunt, Kids Zone, and Charity Softball Tournament) / Yulee
Come out to Yulee Sports Complex for the 2nd Annual Government Day . There will be a FREE kids zone complete with bounce houses, games, fun photos and special appearances by Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and other surprise guests.
- At 3:30 p.m., take your kids over to the football field for an Easter Egg Hunt sponsored by the Nassau County School Board. There will be two age groups, ages 2-5 and ages 6-8, and prize baskets will be awarded for each age group. Don’t forget to bring an Easter Basket or bag for your child to collect the eggs with.
- At 4 p.m., head over to the softball field and watch the Nassau County Sheriff’s Office and the Nassau County Property Appraiser’s Office compete for this year’s championship title. All proceeds will benefit four amazing charities: The Katie Ride & Walk, United Way of Northeast Florida, The James S. Page Scholarship Fund, and The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
9) Next Thursday, April 9, through April 11: Frozen Sing-A-Long / Jacksonville
As part of the huge OneSpark event in downtown Jacksonville, the Jacksonville Children’s Chorus is hosting this special series of performances at Snyder Memorial Church on North Laura Street. Guests who attend are encouraged to wear costumes. Performance times include:
- 7 p.m. Thursday, April 9
- 7 p.m. Friday, April 10 4 and
- 7 p.m. Saturday, April 11
10) 8 p.m. Friday: Jacksonville Sharks vs. Orlando / Jacksonville
The Jacksonville Sharks, members of the Arena Football League (AFL), will face off with Orlando at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. To reserve your tickets, or for more information, please call (904) 621-0700. Follow the Sharks on Facebook at facebook.com/jaxsharks and on twitter @jaxsharks, as well as the Attack Dance Team at facebook.com/sharkattackdance and Chum at facebook.com/chumsharks.
Don’t forget this is just a roundup of our top 10 local family-friendly events. There are many more events listed in our special events calendar below. Thanks for reading! ~ Mamamelia
Do you know about an event that should be on Mamamelia’s calendar? Tell us about it! This website is managed by busy moms on a bare-bones budget, so it’s a huge help when folks drop us a note about an event when it’s not already on the calendar. If you hear about a great local family-friendly event, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, message us on Facebook or use the “Submit an Event” link on the website to make sure it gets added to the calendar.