This week there are a number of final opportunities to see Santa, a live nativity and the Ritz-Carlton’s Gingerbread Ship. In fact, this is THE weekend to visit the Ritz, which is offering a gingerbread house building class for kids, free carriage rides, and even a “Little Diva” spa day on Saturday.
We’ve rounded up these events and a handful of other favorite local events for the week ahead in the list below, but you can see the full calendar of special events in our new Special Events Calendar. Don’t forget we also have a separate calendar for the events offered every week, such as library story times, and of course we still have our popular Kids Eat Free calendar. If you prefer to see all of these events in one place, we also have a Master Calendar.
What Else is New at Mamamelia.com:
– Last Chance! Today is the FINAL day to enter our family four pack giveaway for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus coming to Jacksonville Jan. 17-21. Get the details and enter here.
– Review: See our photos and writeup about Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens’ ZOOLights, a first-time event featuring Christmas lights, music, snow and more. We made one big mistake that you can easily avoid by reading this review. Read it here.
– Announcement: Do you have a stockpile of disposable diapers that you aren’t able to use? Donate them to Micah’s Place, a local shelter for victims of domestic violence and their children. A local church is collecting donations now. Details here.
Want to Subscribe?
Mamamelia’s Top Event Picks for the Week Ahead:
Friday, Dec. 21
10:30 a.m. Reading with Santa at St. Marys Library / St. Marys
Come out for story time and enjoy listening to Santa Claus read to the children at St. Marys Public Library. Open to children of all ages.
2 to 5 p.m. Santa Visits at On the Green Salon and Day Spa / St. Marys
Back by popular demand! Santa Claus will be at On the Green Salon and Day Spa today from 2 to 5pm. Receive a FREE 5×7 professional photo, compliments of Mark V Photography, with a $5 donation to The St. Marys Little Theater. The Spa also will be offering special Christmas deals on gift certificates. Questions? Call the Spa at (912) 882-4238.
Saturday, Dec. 22
11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Special Children’s Holiday Events at the Ritz / Amelia Island
Today is the day to take the kids to the Ritz-Carlton to celebrate the holidays. Among their offerings today:
- 11 a.m.-12 p.m. FREE Carriage Rides
- 12 to 3 p.m. FINAL Santa’s Storybook Tea of the season
- 3-7 p.m. Gingerbread Creations (building gingerbread houses with the help of Ritz Chefs)
- 6-7 p.m. Little Diva Day (getting pampered in the Ritz Spa)
Sunday, Dec. 23
6:30 p.m. Live Nativity Celebration / Callahan
Enjoy a dramatic retelling of the Christmas story that includes live music and carols, children’s choirs and a children’s ballet at First Baptist Church Callahan. Refreshments, pictures with Santa and gifts for the kids will follow the service.
Monday, Dec. 24
2 to 4 p.m. Visit with Santa at Amelia Island Plantation / Amelia Island
Kids can visit Santa at Marché Burette for their last-minute Christmas wishes before he sets off on his long nighttime journey across the world. There was some confusion about which day this event takes place, but the front desk told us it is a Christmas Eve event.
Tuesday, Dec. 25
Wednesday, Dec. 26
Countdown to Noon Year’s Eve DISCOUNT at the Zoo begins / Jacksonville
Today through Dec. 30, children (ages 3-12) get 50 percent off regular child’s admission with a “Countdown to Noon Year’s Eve” coupon printed from this link.Children 2 years old and younger are free.
Want to get these updates in your email inbox every week? See our sidebar to sign up!
Don’t forget this is just a roundup of a few local events. There are many more events listed in our special events calendar below, including specail tours at the much-loved Catty Shack Ranch. Thanks for reading! ~ Mamamelia